Saturday, March 24, 2012

Swarm AGAIN - In Charlotte (March 23)

9:30AM / 64 degrees / Sunny
This morning I looked out and noticed the nuc starting to swarm.  This was the queen along with the nurse bees and worker bees I took from Christin's hive last week as I caught them trying to swarm.

It is really strange they are trying to swarm again as I stepped in and took them from the original hive and moved them 30 miles away.  This should have sufficed as the swarm they tried to do a week earlier.  The swarm left and then returned to the nuc.  I once again found the queen on the table the nuc was sitting on.  This time I moved all bees into a normal sized 10 frame hive.  There should be plenty of room for these bees now.
Within an hour, they were swarming again (3rd time in a week they tried to swarm).  The swarm once again returned to the hive.  I found and captured the queen on the ground in front of the hive.

Something must be wrong with the queen for her to try to swarm 3 times and each time she was unable to fly,

There is one way to remedy an urge to swarm after all other ways failed; remove the queen from the hive and kill her.  Without a queen, the colony will create a new queen.

After I killed the queen, I performed a field dissection of her and noticed the spermatheca was milky white in color.  This indicates a failing or old queen.  The decision to remove her was correct.

At this time the 3rd hive is queenless.  I am hoping a new queen will develop within days.

No comments:

Post a Comment