Sunday, June 10, 2012

Queen Hatched in Nuc - (June 10)

I checked on the 5 frame Nuc today and found a hatched queen.  She had already ripped through 2 other queen cells killing the queen that was inside.  I found one more queen cell on the #1 frame that will soon be destroyed by the newly hatched queen.

This Nuc is going to be combined with hive #1 as soon as she is laying well so I am not too concerned that the Nuc is really small in population numbers at this point.  It looks like most bees went back to their original hive when I made this Nuc.  I put 2 frames of capped honey / pollen in this nuc and the other 3 frames have capped brood, so should do well for another 2 weeks.
The main goal is to get her laying and then combine her back to the larger #1 hive.

I also checked on hive #3.  They have a honey super on and I’m still feeding.  The honey super is almost filled so this will be their food for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment